© Don Marshall 2015
London Midland & Scottish Railway
No 10423 - Class 5P 4-6-0 express locomotive. Originally designed by Hughes for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1908 they were all rebuilt from 1921 and given the red livery. Only 10 were built in the first batch (1908) and were regarded as sluggish, but later batches, from 1921, were modified and the class were the principal LMS express engines until the introduction of the more powerful Patriots and the Royal Scots. The class totalled 75 units.