© Don Marshall 2015
The Cambrian Railways operated over 230 miles of track over a large area of Mid Wales from the 1860's. As was usual in the period the Railway was an amalgamation of several smaller railways. The line relied on coal and slate traffic and also holiday traffic. It had amicable relations with the London North Western and the Great Western and so could offer through services to other parts of the country. The Railway became part of the Great Western in 1923.
The Railway adopted black for its locomotives but this was livened up a lot by the yellow and red lining though this changed at the end of the Edwardian period to grey with red lining.